The moringa is a tree which is well known for its benefits. It grows abundantly in our house holds in India but here in Singapore we have to buy it.It’s readily available in Tamil Indian Stores which sell vegetables and Mustafa Centre. Its also available through out the Indian stores in Little India and Tekka market.
Moringa trees have been used to combat malnutrition, especially among infants and nursing mothers. Nursing mothers are recommended to have the leaves of this tree with hot rice and curry without cooking.
I always buy drumsticks and leaves here in Singapore but the flowers I can have it only when I go to India because they are not sold in shops.
Here is a simple recipe for a tasty thoran made with its leaves.
- Moringa leaves- 3 cups
- Onion- 1 small chopped
- Thoran Mix– 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Dry Chilli- 1
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Wash and clean the leaves thoroughly. Pluck the leaves from the stem and keep it ready. This is the only work required in the whole process.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add in the mustard seeds and when it splutters add in the dry chilly.
- Put all the leaves and the chopped onion in the kadai and place the thoran mix on top of it.
- Sprinkle salt on top and close with a lid for sharp 30 seconds.
- Open the lid and give a good stir.
- Healthy thoran is ready to go with rice.
I love to have it on its own.
This is a multipurpose mix that we Malayalees use in many items. It can be used for making Thoran, Aviyal, Moru curry, dal curry etc.I though of posting it just for my convenience. I will be posting a series of recipes with this mix later. Working women like me,can keep this mix ready in fridge the day before, so that they can pack a quick lunch with their favourite thoran or curry without compromising its taste.
Ingredients:(Serves 4 when mixed with vegetables)
- Fresh Coconut scraped – ½ cup
- Green chilly-1
- Garlic- 1
- Shallots/ Kochully- 2
- Turmeric pwd- ¼ tsp
- Cumin/ Jeera pwd- ¼ tsp
- Pulse everything in a blender to get a coarse mixture.
Note: This mix has to be mixed with veggies or lentils and cooked for consumption..
Posted 9th July 2010 by suhaina aji