by Dr. Paul Haider
1. Great for Depression – Did you know that ripe Banana Peels are great for depression? Banana Peels are packed full of serotonin which boost your mood and help you feel happy. Studies show that if you eat two Banana Peels a day for three days you have a net increase of 15% in your serotonin level – Wow!
2. Sleep Better – At the same time Banana Peels are full of lots of tryptophan that help you get a good nights rest.
3. Lower Cholesterol – And Banana Peels have more soluble and insoluble fiber than what you find in the banana it self, that means Banana Peels lower your cholesterol… thus helping to prevent cardiovascular disease, strokes, and cancer.
4. Cardiovascular Health – And Banana Peels can help eliminate atherosclerosis from your body by preventing cholesterol from sticking to the walls of your arteries.
5. Weight Loss and Obesity – And because Banana Peels are full of fiber they also fill you up and thus can help with weight loss and obesity.
6. Create Probiotics and Detox – And because you have lots of fiber you create a wonderful place for probiotic bacteria or good bacteria to grow in your colon and thus boost your immune system. Plus it helps get rid of constipation and thus also helps detox the body and create a better immune system.
7. Anticancer Agents – Banana Peels contain powerful anticarcinogenic compounds that help to prevent cancer. And they also contain cytoprotective agents and antimutagenic agents that reduce your chances of coming down with cancer. At the same time have lots of carotenoids and polyphenols like that found in green tea that help to keep your immune system healthy.
8. Red Blood Cell Protective Agent – Research also found that Banana Peels also protects red blood cells from breaking down. And they also found that green Banana Peels were even more effective at protecting the body from free radicals.
9. Antioxidants and Nutrients – Also Banana Peels are high in potassium, so if you need more potassium, and perhaps are taking potassium in some form… why not switch to Banana Peels. Banana Peels also contain lots of antioxidants that help to prevent cardiovascular disease and caner… and thus they boost your immune system and help prevent disease. They also contain B vitamins for great health and vitality, magnesium for detoxing and regulating blood sugar, and potassium which is very important for cardiovascular health and water regulation, plus can help lower blood pressure.
10. Great Eye Health and Antibiotic – Banana Peels contain lots of lutein which is important for night vision, preventing macular degeneration and helping to prevent cataracts. And Banana Peels are full of great anti-fungal compounds, and antibiotic agents that bring about good health.
11. Skin Health and Anti-Inflammatory Agent – Banana Peels are also a good anti-inflammatory agent that helps to sooth away all kinds of inflammatory processes. And they also help with warts, psoriasis, itching, insect bites, rashes, poison oak and ivy, wrinkles, and help to create great looking skin.
Taking a Banana Peel and putting in on a plantar wart for 30 days every night, will make it turn black and fall off (yellow part of the skin towards the wart)… the skin contains salicylic acid that facilitates wart removal… much nicer than having warts burned off.
Banana Peels have also been used for bone spurs, putting Banana Peel on just before going to bed and wrapping it in place very night… a couple weeks later the pain disappears.
Ways to Eat Banana Peels
There are places in the world where they eat bananas skin on regular basis… and in some cultures banana peels are fried as a delicacy. In Eastern India Banana Peels are used for making lots of dishes and even for making desserts.
You can also make Banana Peel tea – just boil Banana Peels in water, let the water cool and you have lots of healthy nutrients that will keep you strong and healthy. And the nutrient rich Banana Peel Tea can be used in gravy, soups, sauces, and in rice and other dishes.
You can make a wonderful smoothie with the whole banana including the peel… it takes great! Take one whole banana and add 1 1/2 cups of any kinds of milk you want, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and a 1/2 cup of ice cubes or more and blend in a powerful blender… it tastes great!
In some Asian countries the whole banana is cooked flesh and all. Some even cut Banana Peels in to 1 inch pieces and dry them in the sun, and then steam them for a great tasting treat. And the darker the Banana Peel the sweeter, and use those black bananas that you normally use in Banana Nut Bread blending them peel and all, and add them to your batter… works great!
Buy Organic and None GMO – Make sure to buy organic and none GMO bananas because bananas are sometimes sprayed with pesticides.
How to de-code the information on those little stickers
Here’s how it works:
For conventionally grown fruit, (grown with chemicals inputs), the PLU code on the sticker consists of four numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 9. Genetically engineered (GM) fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 8. For example,
A conventionally grown banana would be:
An organic banana would be:
A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be:
About the Author
Dr. Paul Haider – Master Herbalist and Spiritual Teacher for over 20 years, helping people to recover and feel healthy. You can also find Dr. Haider on FB under Dr. Paul Haider, Healing Herbs, Shambala Spiritual Transformation Institute, Meditation for the Soul, and Relax Into Success, Punjab teas, and at http://www.paulhaider.com – feel free to contact him any time. Also check out Dr. Haider’s radio show at http://www.thesourcecenterradio.com/The-Relaxed-Soul.html July show to be about “The Power of Compassion”